Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Blast From The Past!

What's Up Fam!?!? Nawledge here, back in effect with this post after finishin up with the CRAZIEST ROAD TRIP OF LIFE! That's the reason for my lack of presence over here during the past 2 Months. Started in LA right after July 4th for a good friend's Wedding, then on to Sacramento/San Francisco/Portland/Gov. Camp Mt. Hood Oregon for some summer riding/Seattle/Vancouver BC/then back home to Salt Lake, 2 Months later... Spent about $3,000 & destroyed the Liver every night. FUCKIN EPIC TRIP! I had this crazy old Polaroid & some expired film the whole time, took some bangin shots & put 'em in this slideshow. Thought some of y'all that like Photography might want to check it out.

But before that let me just say that I've noticed a few heads in the CBox asking where I've been, & missing my posts & shit. I want you to know, those FEW comments get me Really amped on wanting to keep going with this Blog stuff. It is a lot of work, & we do it for the love, so its REALLY dope to see even just a few people that are asking about where I've been, and where my posts had gone. Basically helped me confirm that I'm actually doin this for a reason. Thanks for those comments people! For Real... Alright, enough about me & where I've been at. Here we go:


I figure it's been a while since my last post, so I wanted to do somethin a little special/different with this one. For a while, I've been thinkin about my Favorite "Top 10" Instrumental albums, and was going to do a Top 10 post. But then realized that I kind of separate my Instrumentals into 2 different Genres now: New & Old. So, I'm going to break it down like that, & I tossed up 10 of my favorite beats from my favorite albums growing up into this Mix, The Classics.

This is mainly for discussion, as I'm sure most of you have all the beats already. But I'd like to hear your agreements/disagreements on my selections, what you think I may have left out, what you would put in, etc... I'm interested to hear what everybody else considers CLASSIC. No tracklist, just expect beats from each album in the picture spread below.

Best Of - The Classics

Cool, then I was thinking, there were a few Artists that were ahead of their time from years back, artists that kind of ushered in the new "Sound" of Instrumental music, helped to kind of "Bridge The Gap" between the Old sound & the New sound. There are only 5 tracks in this one, & they are just random tracks that jumped out at me as having that Future Sound. Especially when they came out. Anyway, you gotta have that middle ground between New & Old, and these represent that pretty good I think.

Best Of - Bridging The Gap

Now on to the New Classics. These are a whole bunch of tracks that I've already posted in the past, all the stuff im currently listening to. These I consider to be Classic already. & I want you to know that these mixes are all tailored to what I used to listen to, or am listening to now. There are a TON of new artists that could go in this mix, & a whole bunch unmentioned that could belong in the Old Classics too. From Lord Finesse & Easy Mo Bee, to Black Milk & Ras G. The list goes on... I'm basically posting the stuff I listen to, & what matters most to me. What you hear is what I hear, New or Old.

Best Of - The New Classics

** This mix does contain 1 New Track that I haven't ever posted. It's from Glen Porter's new album "Falling Down" that dropped on the 28th of Aug. The track is from the 12" Single, it's entitled "Need Itself, Pt.2" EVERYBODY go to iTunes & buy the album, i'm not going to post it. It's 9.99 & it's really, really well done. A great album. Go get it. **

BUY THIS ALBUM!!!

*** So, as I was posting this I realized that I'm pretty sure I forgot to remove the DRM Protection on the Glen Porter track mentioned above, because it was an iTunes purchase. So, here is a DRM Free version that I uploaded to Rapidshare, download this one so you will actually be able to listen to it & have the DRM Free. ***
Glen Porter - Need Itself Pt.2

Next, I was shocked & appalled when I noticed that this album had never been posted here in its entirety. O.C.'s "Word... Life" remains as one of my Best & Favorite Albums ever for Lyrical & Production quality. It's basically entirely produced by Buckwild, so... If you missed out on this album, you're childhood was not complete. Glad to find it & get it posted. I hope all of you enjoy it.

O.C. - "Word... Life" Instrumentals

Alright, on the subject of Blue Sky Black Death & Unreleased shit, I've got this. The Orphan Tape. One half of BSBD, "Kingston" the producer from Seattle, used to go by "The Orphan" as a solo producer. I found some random track that a guy had posted on YouTube, some unreleased BSBD track, & in the comments it said it was from "The Orphan Tape". I asked the dude if he could hook it up with the full tape, & so now I have it for you. It has a few tracks from the BSBD Lost & Unreleased, but it has a whole bunch of other shit too. There is a track called "No Glory" that is highly legit. Enjoy, let us know what you think.

The Orphan - Space Needle Sounds

This one is just something I grabbed from HHB a bit back. But I remember we posted his 1st album up a while ago, and people seemed to like it. So, got this one for y'all. It has some cool shit on it, some really hard hitting bass & drums on some tracks. Enjoy.

Metaform - Beats From The Crypt

I noticed a request for this in the CBox a few days back, so here you go... There aren't any voice-over tag shit on this one. It is way easier to listen to & there are some definite bangers on the album. You can't argue with the fact that he can make some dope beats for being so young. Let's not BLOW UP on this one huh? Usually when a Cloud album gets posted up I tend to see 9,000 random negative comments flyin all over the place, & that shit is pointless. Anybody that makes something that you can nod your head to, deserves our respect. I like this dude & his beats, so lets try & keep the comments somewhat partially on the positive side people. Thanks.

Cloud - Self Law

And finally, I must mention the entity that is MEXICANS WITH GUNS!!! I've been meaning to do a main post on the man, but he doesn't really fall into the "Instrumental" side of things, 2 of these tracks are Instrumentals. So, I REALLY like this shit, I don't know how a lot of you will feel it, but I really dig it. MWG is a side-project from Ernest Gonzales, & im pretty sure that Ernest is such a musically diverse fellow that he is making so many tracks that sound so different, he has to create multiple aliases to agree with that particular sound of music. MWG is basically a remix producer, that's what I call it. He basically just flips the track a little bit, adds some bangin synth sounds & hard hits, and when he's done doing his thing, the result is a definite club banger from what was once a track that may not even belong in the club in the first place. Take my favorite version, The Faunts track, "Feel Love Thinking Of", listen to the original version somewhere on YouTube, then listen to the flip on this mix. That's what im talkin about, perfect display, & I can't wait to hear more... I see big things happening for Ernest Gonzales in the future, & all of his aliases. Keep doing your thing, because I like the sound.

Mexicans With Guns - My Top 6

Alright, just about done here lacing your dome with that new Crack. I'm gonna leave you with 2 diverse tracks that I have been feeling a lot lately. Found the first 1 from Scott Hansen's (Tycho) Blog, & the other Dub track I just came across in a random folder somewhere. I don't know anything about it. Some Electro, & some Drums. ENJOY.

Siriusmo - "High Together"


Roberto Torres & Bill Laswell - "Cien Fuegos Dub"


Alright, that's it for this go around. Glad to be back, had an ALL TIME Summer & cant wait for the seasons to change, along with the Blog. Lets keep it going to 2010 People!!! PEACE.

17 comments:

nawledge said...

Oh, & I forgot to mention:

SORRY FOR ALL THE .M4A AUDIO FILES!!!!

& whatever other various formats there might be. Wanted to apologize in advance, even though this shit barely even matters.

There is a free program called "Switch" for Mac that I have been using for years to convert audio files to various formats, etc. Very clean & fast program. I don't know of one for you Windows users, but I'm sure it won't be that hard to track down.

Worry about THE BEAT, not the beat's digital format! Peace...

jeffro said...

quite an epic post nawledge. appriciate all the music man, you've got good taste. Im really feeling Mexicans With Guns right now.

Are you a fan of Pretty Lights? Filling up the city skies was probably the dopest instrumental album i've heard in my whole existance

Dark Matter said...

That Cloud joint? Don't even bother. Just like so many of the posts here, you can tell the kid has talent and a gameplan but there's something a little *YAWN* about it all....I did somewhat enjoy "Incedence" but didn't bother keeping it to machete his gay ass tags off of it. If it that's serious, I'll bless someone else's beat dude.

Anonymous said...

Epic post & good to see you back on the blog.

Much respect,

Z

nawledge said...

@sir jeff: Thanks, appreciate it. Checking that Pretty Lights right now. The last minute of Solamente on Disc 1 was pretty absurd. Digging it for sure. I'd heard about them a few times here & there but delayed in checking them out. Emancipator is doing a few shows with them coming up here pretty soon I believe.

@RezO: I feel ya! haha, that Incidence track was one of the highlights for me too. I mainly put it up because of the request, but glad to see you checked it out.

@Z: No Doubt...

Prince Vannie said...

Tha site is awesome dude, i made a dope mixtape [veeology] mostly off beats i got off here..

Here's a link mayne for it

http://www.datpiff.com/Seven1three_Van_Solo_Veeology.m40340.html

or

http://valentinesknown.blogspot.com/

Prince Vannie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Astroblack said...

Yo nawledge

I realy love the photos you took.

Great to see that some one loves to shoot that same durt and dusty photos like i do to

Anonymous said...

hey man, i'm definitely one of those people who always peeps your page... and yes, i also one of those people who dig and appreciate the effort... what you do, is very dope and meaningful.

also, i really enjoyed the video you posted... those pics were like grimey ass creations made with a sp1200 camera... lol
loved that one of the bird in the beach, reflections, rocks in the background...

i take pics too, http://www.flickr.com/photos/billygomez... also make beats, http://www.myspace.com/4billygomez... only posting for the sake of letting you know i care... because it taps into what i love most... in short, thank you, brother.

keep going... and i'll keep following.

Anonymous said...

The photos are extra dope. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

cloud gay...

Anonymous said...

I had to drop by to leave a comment about how AWESOME the emancipator album is. a real good recommendation.

Anonymous said...

thanks for o.c!

Anonymous said...

nawledge: welcome back, great post.

really like the slideshow - what's the music in it? (maybe i missed it, but i'd like to know).

thx for the post mans.

nawledge said...

@errybody: Thanks.

Music in the slideshow = "Playing With Fireworks" by Yppah. From the album, They Know What Ghost Know

Anonymous said...

awesome. love yppah.

good said...

hey nawledge, i started a new blogspot for freeware, on pc's. k-murdock suggested i also post mac applications (free and trials) but i haven't used mac for years. do you think you'd be willing to contribute for the mac portion of the new blogspot? if so hit me up in the comment section of this post

http://acapellarchives.blogspot.com/2009/09/starting-new-blogspot.html

hopefully you actually get this comment and it doesn't go by the wayside.